Thursday, May 08, 2008

Preschool & all that comes with it!

Matt started attending preschool when I started work last month. He goes to preschool in the mornings and then does lunch and nap in the daycare with Jonathan. It is so wonderful because all of this happens at the clinic where I work It was great to have the boys with me the first week especially. Matt was VERY emotional and that bottom lip was out more than usual and the tears were flowing. Imagine the insecurity... new brother, moved halfway across the country, been at home with Mommy for 3 months, starting preschool with all new people, AND he's 2 1/2. I couldn't have hoped for a better transition. This morning when I dropped him off in his classroom (he's now been attending for a month), he leaned in to me for a kiss and said goodbye. Off he went to play with a big pirate ship and a group of 4 boys. It warmed my heart and made me proud!

Today at preschool they had a Mother's Day tea for all the moms. I was able to reschedule a couple of kids and attend the tea. It was adorable! There was a craft, great food, and the best part was the kids getting up to sing for all of us moms. Matt still has a bit of a shy side and doesn't like the spotlight, so his bottom lip popped out and he started to cry when they got up to sing. He stood right by me and mouthed the words to his new favorite song, "I love you Mommy"! I had the benefit of a solo performance last night in the car on the way home from work. It was a tear jerker for sure!

So, along with all the great things this week, Matt has really started showing how much he has learned in the past month, along with things we had been teaching him before the move. All of the things we have done, songs we have sung, and places we have gone have all started meaning new and different things to him. I think we overprepared him for the move because he still wants to take a plane and fly to California, but we haven't had the maps up for a while and he's a bit out of practice (he IS 2 1/2, and was ripping the maps off the wall shortly after our map video, so we took them down). He is singing everything and I just love it. He's becoming a pro with the ABCs and will sing them along with 2 of his toys in the car that sing them. He started singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes" in the car the other day, and was rehearsing several songs in front of his mirrored closet doors when he should have been napping the other day! He's quite a character and reminds us every day.

In the past 2 days he has taken off his shirt with only verbal cues from me to put his arms down instead of up through the collar as he removes it, and he is trying to master taking off his pants once I unfasten them. Makes this occupational therapist mommy proud! His squealing behaviors are starting to calm down a bit and if he is in the right mood he will say "I sorry, Mommy" when I call him on it. I just wish he'd stop doing it in the first place!


This was the only picture I could get of Matt at the Mother's Day tea. He was busy enjoying all of the wonderful snacks they had for us.


No comments: